Entrants must be an organisational member of Museums Galleries Australia. Not a member? Join us!
Entry levels (per entry) are based on the project budget of that project/exhibition:
- Level 1: Project budget under $20,000
- Level 2: Project budget $20,000 - $150,000
- Level 3: Project budget $150,000 - $500,000
- Level 4: Project budget over $500,000
- Exhibition or Gallery Fitout (Permanent)
A physical or virtual interpreted presentation of materials owned or borrowed by the institution.
- Exhibition (Temporary/Travelling)
A temporary physical or virtual interpreted presentation of materials owned or borrowed by the institution.
- Interpretation, Learning and Audience Engagement
Community development and education projects developed by the institution to interpret and communicate the collection and stories.
- Indigenous Project or Keeping Place
A project or program developed specifically for Indigenous communities or by Indigenous people. May include gallery or exhibition development or interpretive programming and learning projects.
Your project must have (mostly) been completed in the previous 12 months. We understand that some projects take more than a year to plan, develop and present. The main criteria is that it has not been entered before.
Consider the following when completing the entry form:
- Project achievements
- What was the rationale behind the project? What issues are being considered?
- How is the project innovative or original?
- How is the significance of the objects conveyed?
- How does the project utilise sustainable best practice to ensure conservation of objects and the broader environment?
- How was the project received by the public?
- How does the design of the project emphasise its meaning?
- How does the project contribute to local or national cultural tourism, education or development?
- Supporting documentary materials, including reports, visitor comments, media, exhibition books, education materials, etc (not counted in page limit)
- Supporting graphic materials, including photos, plans, web pages, etc (not counted in page limit)
- Any other information to support your entry
* We understand that not all project entries will address all example criteria equally.
Conditions of Entry
- The MAGNA Awards are open to all non-commercial museums, galleries, zoos, botanical gardens, historical societies, libraries, keeping places, science centres and other cultural and collecting institutions who are members of Museums Galleries Australia.
- Commercial galleries, auction houses and publishing interests are not eligible.
- Only members of Museums Galleries Australia are eligible to enter the MAGNA Awards.
- The MAGNA Awards are free to enter.
- Organisations can enter as many submissions as they want but each project/program can only be entered in one category.
- The Awards are not open to International entrants.
- Entries must come from organisations, associations or not-for-profit companies.
- Entries by individuals are not eligible.
- Entrants may submit multiple entries in any categories, but these can only be entered in one category.
- An impartial judging panel drawn from relevant sectors, and including a member of the museum-going public, will judge the entries.
- The judging panel reserves the right not to make an award in a category if it considered no award is merited; or to make a joint award in a category.
- Entries will not be returned.
- The winner of each entry will receive an award and certificate, and acknowledgement on the MGA website. Entries of high distinction will be recognised as Highly Commended.
- All entries will be credited as indicated on the entry form. Ensure the details on the entry form are correct and legible.
- By submitting an entry, the entrant grants permission to Museums Galleries Australia for the reproduction of winning entries for purposes of publicity and promotion at no charge; entrants must warrant they have the right to allow such use by Museums Australia.
How to Enter
Entries are submitted online through our National Awards Portal. A link will be provided when the Call for Entries opens.
We have a pool of judges who are leaders in their field. We also call for expressions of interest leading up to the awards for those wishing to participate.