Working closely with the Assistant Director, Curatorial and Collection Management and the Senior Curator, Australian Painting, Sculpture and Decorative Arts to 1980 you will help build the NGV’s collection in Australian Painting, Sculpture and Decorative Arts to 1980 by sourcing and recommending appropriate acquisitions.
Other key responsibilities include:
• Initiating, researching and developing new exhibitions in Australian Art in accordance with departmental requirements and in consultation with the Senior Curator, Australian Painting, Sculpture and Decorative Arts to 1980 and you will also coordinate permanent collection changeovers and gallery displays.
• Working closely with Audience Engagement, Corporate Partnerships, Marketing and Multimedia to provide curatorial expertise on the scoping and implementation of major partnerships showcasing the Australian Art collection.
• Negotiating loans, purchases and donations with donors, art dealers and public institutions and advising and reporting on loan requests.
• Initiating, researching and producing publications on the collection of Australian Painting, Sculpture and Decorative Arts to 1980 and initiating, coordinating and implementing programs, lectures and seminars linked to the Gallery’s exhibition program and collection.
• Leading and participating in collaborative cross-disciplinary project teams, as required.
To be successful you will have specialist knowledge of the history, theory and development of Australian Art supplemented with a tertiary qualification in Fine Arts or similar and relevant experience within a major art museum of international standing. You can generate new ideas, drawing on a range of information sources to identify new ways of doing things, actively influencing events, promoting ideas and monitoring external sources and identifying underlying trends. You will set clearly defined objectives and priorities and operate accordingly, reviewing and adjusting as required.
You confidently convey ideas and information in a clear and interesting way, clearly understand the target audience and the objectives of the communication. You will use understanding of individuals to get the best outcomes for the person and organisation, build behind-the-scenes support for ideas to ensure buy-in and ownership and edit written communications to ensure they contain the information necessary to achieve their purpose and meet audience needs.
HOW TO APPLY:
For full application details and a copy of the role statement, please refer to our website https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/about/people-and-careers/join-the-team/. Applications close at 5pm on 13 June, 2017.