Collections and Exhibitions Technician
Are you an experienced Museum Art Handler looking to work with one of Australia's most unique museums? Good news, the Museum of Old and New Art (Mona) is on the lookout for a new team member. In this hands-on role, you'll actively contribute to the handling, preparation, installation and maintenance of Mona's extensive collection and exhibition artworks. A strong attention to detail and constant high standards in the presentation of artworks are a must for this role. You'll ideally bring prior experience and knowledge that can contribute to improving our established protocols and procedures, and you'll definitely be enthusiastic and willing to contribute to the broader team environment in a respectful and collaborative way.
- You'll work within established protocols and procedures as you contribute to the care and maintenance of the collection and Mona's dynamic exhibition program. We'll also welcome your input as we continually look to improve and refine these protocols and procedures
- Your attention to detail and organisational skills will be relied upon, particularly when you're involved with the practical responsibilities of the installation and de-installation of collection and exhibition loan works
- The regular movement of the collection and loans will also see you engage in condition assessments and reporting, producing the relevant documentation and providing treatment and packing recommendations
- Working with our conservation specialists (internal and external) will provide further learning opportunities as you assist and participate in providing collection specific treatment solutions
- You'll regularly demonstrate your practical skills as you assist in the design and fabrication of specialist crates, stillages and archival options that ensure safe and efficient storage and display of the collection and exhibition artworks
- There'll be regular interaction with colleagues from the organisation more broadly as you play an active role and contribute to facilities management, maintenance and security, specifically for our off-site storage. Within this, you're going to regularly contribute to Mona's preventative conservation, environmental monitoring and IPM programs, as well as the disaster recovery program.
- And you'll be able to keep on top of the day to day tasks, such as maintaining tools and equipment, keeping work sites tidy and keeping an eye out for your colleagues as you promote a safe working environment
- You've ideally gained a high level of art handling experience or have worked in a similar role where you've engaged in the safe movement, handling and installation of high-value artworks. Some skill in basic fabrication/carpentry related tasks would be beneficial.
- Crucially, you'll understand the value and significance of the environment you're working in and will place a high emphasis on safe and careful work practices in all aspects of your work
- You'll have strong communication skills in both verbal and written forms that enable you to collaborate with colleagues and prepare necessary documentation
- Whilst we definitely want you to enjoy working in a team environment and collaborating with colleagues, you'll also need to work efficiently, maintain high standards and follow set procedures when working autonomously.
- And you're going to need to be physically fit and capable of performing the manual aspects of the role, like lifting heaving objects, building crates and installing artworks.
Does this sound like you? Then we’d love to get to know you. Please submit your application (specifically addressing why you're a great fit for this role) at https://mona.net.au/connect/employment
Applications close at 9am, Monday the 4th of February.
*Previous applicants need not apply.